“The best way to predict the future is to create it” -Abraham Lincoln
Eat Well, Feel Well, Live Well. That’s one of my motto’s to live by. I’m always looking for ways to practically apply this to my life.
This morning when I opened my eyes I had an immediate rush of ideas. When this happens, I like to act fast and get that creative out-pouring written down. My body is filled with adrenalin of excitement as I experience anticipate Thats my life at the moment, travelling, working, learning and evolving through experience. So much is being created at the moment, that it’s meant long working days, that lead well into the night, and I’m enjoying every moment of it. I have committed to an important phase in my life, which is all about personal, spiritual and professional expansion.
That aside, I’m sure you’ll recognise that whenever we get really creative and busy, that we need all the energy we can get to keep going, creating and succeeding at our goals. It’s at this time, when our usual routine may be productively out of synch, that it’s essential to adjust and maintain our health and wellbeing regime.
As a working business woman, who is also a regular traveler, it is vitally important that while I’m busy creating this amazing turning point in my life, that my self-care remains as consistent as possible. The motivation and momentum I need to keep going is directly linked to keeping any stress, anxiety or overwhelm levels that can develop in check, while maintaining my productivity.
What do I mean? Well in order to stay focused and alert, our brains and bodies need the right fuel, the kind that will enhance their effort and not undermine it. Brain fog, sleepiness after eating and physical fatigue just won’t cut it… We need to be aiming for a developed wellness culture in our creative working process, aiming for balance during every hour of our working day. The long term benefits are measurable in terms of savings of sick time, any work-related disability and additional health care needs.
Think, prevention leads to more productivity and achievement of your goals. By incorporating a good self-care strategy through quality nutrition, restful activities, movement and laughter, you can optimise your working wellness. Here’s how I’m doing it during this extremely intensely creative life phase…
I’ve created a morning OM ritual that sets me up for the day. It contains these elements, which can be chopped or changed as required:
- I allow myself time to wake up gently. Because I’m going to sleep late, which I know is not the best practice. It may take me an hour to finally feel ready to fully open my eyes. On doing so, I take a deep inhalation and say a simple thank you prayer in my head. Rest, relaxation and enough sleep are the great basic healers.
- Next comes my morning lemon elixir drink, to support with the removal of toxins.
Check out my FREE 1-Day Juice Fast eGuide for the recipe.
- Then I practice some deep breathing (7 minutes beginners level). I use this great free app on my phone called Pranayama by Saagara. It helps to calm my racing mind and excited body.
- If I have time, I may do some singing. I like belting out 2 or 3 of my favourite gospel tracks (which often requires some dancing and laughter), singing more calmly with India Arie, or chanting along with Deva Premal. This can also be done while walking or traveling…
- Most importantly, stretching is the next thing on the agenda. So I just do 5 minutes of yogic stretching, which I love; longer if time allows.
- Now, I’ve released some energy, calmed my mind (a bit) and thats me set up for some easy clean nutrition. I like to go for a fresh juice at this point. I’m used to it, so it’s cool for me. I drink as much as I want to, which is usually between 16-24 ounces (3 large glasses). You could also choose a green smoothie instead, and if you’re used to eating in the morning, try something really nutritious and filling, like adding a chia porridge .
A morning ritual is great way for you to feed your entire self (mind, body and spirit); to increase your energy and focus, elevate your mood and infuse purpose and positivity into your day.
You also need to cultivate a wellness mindset in approaching your productive day, this means prioritising your taking regular short breaks, staying hydrated, choosing clean nutritious snacks and meals (avoid sugary and processed foods, fizzy drinks and alcohol) and if possible, make early-to-sleep one of your goals for rejuvenation. By just implementing a few of these steps, you will already start to transform your energy levels and focus.
So when you ask me what my health goals are for 2017, for me it’s using these tools to maintain my morning OM wellbeing ritual; which sets me up for a really creative and productive day and a large dose of achievement, happiness and joy. Thats my way of committing to the kind of healthful, fulfilled, happy and successful future I want for myself. So join me and lets go for it together!
Join Sistahintheraw’s dynamic health and wellbeing tribe and check out wellness tips and healthy, raw, plant-based recipes. Join here.
Write to me and let me know how you got on.